CMOS vs CCD

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?
Re: CMOS vs CCD
In reply to photomeme, Sep 21, 2012

photomeme wrote:

speedier machine gun image taking was the #1 motivation for the conversion to CMOS. it was not cleaner images.

Sad IMO.

however, it is clear that the top manufacturers invested mightily in CMOS on-chip noise reduction technologies. IMHO for the first few generations, this resulted in 'plasticky' image rendering. back when nikon was still CCD and canon was CMOS, the differences were dramatic -- i stuck with nikon to avoid the plastic look of the early canon CMOS cameras. but with time, i think they've largely addressed that issue.

I think you are generalizing too much. I saw more "plastic" from the CCD D200 than the first full frame Canon, the original 1Ds and also .. interesteringly - from the CMOS D2x. I recently acquired a Canon 1Ds mk III (obviously CMOS too) and the clarity is nothing short of amazing. I never saw this kind of IQ comming from my D800E (and beleive me, I have tried ... after all, it was quite a lot of money that went that way).

So while I firmly beleive that the M9 CCD is somewhat the "ultimate" , the jury is out for me regarding the new CMOS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow