ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CollinFX45
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
V1 owners: which shutter do you use?
Sep 21, 2012

Hey All,

May sound like a dumb question and of course I read the reviews of what each shutter is good for, but I'm curious what everyone uses? I see that the mechanical shutter has a maximum flash sync of 1/250, but a maximum speed of 1/4000. It is also limited to 5 frames per second, though it's continually autofocusing and metering during that burst. With the electronic, we get a maximum flash sync of 1/60, but a maximum speed of 1/16,000. Also, the crazy high bursts are done on this shutter, but no continuous autofocus or metering. Am I correct in all of this?

So it seems to me that for anything other than fast moving subjects, the way to go is the mechanical shutter? I'm not trying to answer my own question or anything. Is there any draw back to always using the mechanical shutter? I understand this is a moving mechanism that could wear out over time, but I'm sure the life of it will exceed the time it takes for me to want something newer (or at least I hope).

Anyway, just a long way of asking: what do you guys use? Mechanical or electronic. Both? And when?

One week with the V1 and I'm in love

-Collin-

CollinFX45's gear list:CollinFX45's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow