Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Wilkie
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Need help with lighting.
Sep 21, 2012

My equipment… Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200 VRI, SB600 on Stroboframe. I also have a Sekonic L308s, and two other speedlights.

The situation…Group of students (30 or so) posing with an award, on a nighttime football field, stadium lights. Everyone is in very dark uniforms (either dark gray or black).

The problem… In the past I set the camera on AUTO, flash set on TTL (not TTL-Balanced). Since most of the reflected light is “absorbed” by the dark uniforms, the faces of the student are blown out (over exposed). I adjust the flash output-level until I get an acceptable exposure.

Am I doing this correctly or is there a better way of setting this up? The photo is taken quickly, since the field must be cleared ASAP, or crowds begin to enter the field once the competition is over. The photo shown was adjusted with CS5. I took several photos and made adjustments each time to get to this version.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow