Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,142Gear list
Like?
Pro advice sought - which way to go?
Sep 21, 2012

My camera bodies are aging and it's time to get another one I think.

I shoot primarily with 2 5D2 bodies. At weddings my ass't uses one and my second body/backup is a 5d classic.

I'm figuring to replace the 5D with either a 5D2 ($1900 new) or a 5D3 ($3499) or wait to get a 6D (2099?).

The cheapest, easiest option is the 5D2. Nothing to learn, no changes in workflow, all the images will match.

5D3- seems the better way to go especially with the fall wedding season approaching, better focus, higher cleaner ISO. A new 'toy'! But the cost is $1600 more...spread over 3 or 4 years I suppose that's not much, and it keeps me 'state of the art'. But it's not cheap. And i'm fearing if I get one I'll want a second come spring (which is what happened with the 5D2...)

A 5D2 and a 6D is just a bit more than a 5D3. A 6D adds wifi which I'd use I think. But I have to wait, learn the new camera/workflow, and the shutter on it is very unimpressive...no, lets just say scary with only 100k life. Makes the camera a 12 to 18 month device (based on my 40D experiences and i"m busier now).

If it was your money...what would you do and why?

Economically speaking the biz can pay cash for a 5D2 or 6D. For a 5D3 I'd put some on a low interest CC just so cash supplies don't run low. Done this many times before so no big deal to me. If I don't 'spend' the money on the camera I'd prolly spend it on personal income (aka christmas, savings perhaps, wine women and song...)
--
Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow