Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scott McL
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
"Legacy" Glass - D600 for me?
Sep 21, 2012

Considering a major upgrade from an aging D200 to the D600.

I find myself most excited by shooting some of my "legacy" Nikon glass. I like the way they draw: 28/2.8 AI-S, 45/2.8 A-P, 105/2.5 AI-S, 135/2.8 AI-S.

I also own the 24/2.8 AF-D, 35/2 AF, 50/1.8 AF-D and 85/1.8 AF-D, but I'm not so enthused about shooting/keeping these (50/85 too Nikon "clinical", 24 OK at very close focus, but not magical, etc.)

As for "upgrading my lenses," I'm most drawn to the Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar (no, not for macro) and the Zeiss 21mm lenses ( maybe the Nikon 16-35/4 instead, dunno).

To have a satisfactory shooting experience, I'm going to require a focus screen upgrade (contrasty matte! split prism wholly optional). Has Katz or Brightscreen announced support yet? I'd like to have the screen installed and screen and mirror alignment tested and adjusted professionally.

Will the D600 do my legacy glass justice and vice versa? I don't care at all about 200% mag on screen pixel peeking (what's the point?). I care about 1) physical prints, usually 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 and 2) Web images.

(FWIW, while a devoted Nikonian, my crazy "wander lust" wild-hair alternative is to ditch all my Nikon gear and buy into the Fuji X-Pro 1 and (relatively diminutive and low weight) X-E1 system with their nice set of primes and "classic configuration" shutter/aperture controls (I've also been a Leica film M-system shooter for years). I've become disabled recently and size/weight/shoot-time complexity have become very serious ergonomic factors).

Any and all sagacious wisdom and feedback regarding my D600 aims - well or ill conceived as the case may be - greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed." - Garry Winogrand

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D200 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow