Why did they want to kill film?

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
rfclark
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Like?
Re: Why did they want to kill film? It's called creative destruction...
In reply to KRR, Sep 21, 2012

Hi

Sorry to tell you this but the film-to-digital revolution is not an un common event.

I would guess that innovation that causes the loss of whatever industry it replaces has been going on for most of human history.

Of course there are always losers...once successful individuals and companies who were the best at what they did found themselves with no customers for their obsolete products.

In photography, innovation (called Progress) advanced photography as soon as the first images were created. A very short list: Dry plates replaced wet plates. Sheet film replaced dry plates. Roll film replaced most sheet film. Flashbulbs replaced flash powder. Strobes replaced flashbulbs. 35mm replaced 4 x 5's for reportage. Digital replaced film...what's next?

Hang on as long as you wish, but there is no return to the old ways of photography unless you can create all the needed materials yourself.
Yes, the F5 is now a doorstop.

Hating digital because it is not film is not rational or healthy...Accept the change and get on with your photography.

As far as the consumers, they're the beneficiaries of all this, certainly not suckers...look at the performance vs. price trends in contemporary digital...what is wrong with that?

By the way, I've been in photography for over 60 years. For me, digital is the best innovation ever.
Dick

KRR wrote:

There are only a handful of professional E-6 color labs left in America. I had planned to stock up on film when the end approaches. But, now I hear that Kodak may exit the chemical business and there are only 2 slide mount mfg. left in the world.

Somebody, tell me again why we obsoeleted millions of dollars of equipment used so successfully by fine art photographers. Will medium format outlive 35mm? Will my very wonderful Nikon F5 make a good doorstop?

I hate digital because it is not film. What if the consumer got suckered by the immediate gradification dance?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow