Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jjm1181
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Which MacBook Pro Specs do I need?
Sep 21, 2012

I'll start this thread off by stating I'm a newbie to digital photography...

I've always been a windows user so I'm hesitant to switch. I've been looking at getting a new laptop for home since the only one I have is my work laptop. We turned our office into a nursery so a laptop is all we can get. I really like the new MacBook Pros with the retinal display and the solid state drives. I plan on using the laptop for my photography and video editing.

With that being said, is it worth the extra cost to upgrade to the new MacBook Pros? Or should I just settle on a less expensive laptop (i.e., Dell, Sony, etc) that is still considered "beefy" (8GB, 500 hard drive, 2.6 ghz, good graphics card, etc). I'm an enthusiast so time is not money for me.

Also, if I were to choose the new MacPros, is there a big difference in me getting the 2.3ghz or 2.6ghz, 256GB solid state drive or 512 solid state drive or even upgrading the RAM from 8gb to 16gb? I use lightroom to edit my photos and PS premiere for videos. I also have the CS6 and plan to learn that program as well. Again, this laptop is just for entertainment purposes.

I know that I'm going to get incredible performance regardless because of the SSD, but wasn't sure if I need to beef up the RAM, processor or hard drive. I'm currently using a Dell Latititude that has only 4gb and 256 HD so the MBP will already being lightning fast for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm a "go big or go home" kind of guy so I like the best of the best, but don't want to spend the extra $$$ on MBP upgrades if I don't have/need to.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow