Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fbwap
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
A57 Video
Sep 21, 2012

I bought an A 57 right before a two week vacation that I just returned from. I am pretty happy with the still picture quality.

I am extremely happy with the EVF. I will never have a camera without one now.

I viewed the video on my computer (slightly older with an nVidia GeForce 6200) and it was jerky and had color artifacts. I tried it on my son's computer (newer, with a GTS 250) and those problems went away. But the video still did not look that good. Focus was OK, but they just didn't look clear. And video taken indoors was dim and noisy.

I tried making videos with every format that the camera would take them in, and viewed them again. No change. I am assuming that my son's video card is good enough and that better video cards will not improve the picture.

My hope was to get one camera that would do both stills and video. What I seem to have is a very good stills camera that takes video no better than the cheapest video camera available. (I am not an authority, that is just how it feels).

So here are my questions: If the Panasonic GH3 lives up to expectations, should it look much better to me? That body is $600 more than an A57. And I am concerned that the CDAF would not be good enough (I have a 2 year old grand-daughter). Could I buy a separate video camera with that $600 (or more or less) and get better performance than even the GH3? What should I look for in a separate video camera? I am very ignorant about video right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

fbwap's gear list:fbwap's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow