Re: 60d upgrade path
In reply to Prody, Sep 20, 2012

Prody wrote:

We currently have the following:
60D
18-55 kit lens
EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Speedlite 430EX II

It's mainly used to shoot pictures of parties. My wife's main complaint is that she doesn't want to change between the two lenses all the time. Secondly, she never uses the flash.

To improve the situation I was looking at how to upgrade.

After some research the 17-55 f/2.8 looked like a good idea, but the price is quite high.

But now with the d600 coming out I'm thinking that might be a better way to upgrade since FF should be better in low light conditions.

Should we stick with the 60d or switch to full frame?

Thanks

People who refuse to use flash usually don't have any idea of how good flash can look. Newbies usually go through a stage of turning up their noses at flash. It makes them feel oh-so-sophisticated and tasteful.

Natural light can be wonderful. You can get beautiful results. Most of the time, however, the lighting you're given at parties just plain sucks. Flash can be less intrusive because you don't have to position people into more favourable lighting. You can get more candid shots.

For a straightforward set up, buy a flash gun and, as others have said, just bounce the flash off the ceiling. You can get more sophisticated set ups, but this is fine for parties when you don't want to be juggling the camera and the settings.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow