Just upgrade the firmware

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Varuas
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: Worked on my iPhone
In reply to michaeladawson, Sep 20, 2012

And iOS6 is a major version upgrade (like Windows XP to Windows 7), not simple update that Apple rolled out. So, major version is always going to have new features.

I am saying that software upgrade involves as much, if not more, life cycle considerations than hardware, contrary to otherwise believed. To casual users, firmware is "just software", but I am arguing that not to be the case.

michaeladawson wrote:

Varuas wrote:

I hear people say as if Company X can "simply" have firmware update to add X feature and Y feature. We are not yet at a point where wishlist can be converted to software, so it takes incentive, capability (including hardware), and of course money. Software development takes a lot of resources, so I think vast majority, if not all, of the times firmware updates will involve fixing bugs on existing features rather than rolling out new ones.

Hmmmm.... Just upgraded my iPhone to iOS6. I now have a slew of new features. Including the addition of a panorama mode to the camera.

While some feature additions to a camera may require new hardware changes, there are a ton of things that you could add via software to an existing camera.

I bet that hardware (exception being the sensor) are much cheaper than the software development costs in Nikon/Canon/Sony. But correct me if I am wrong.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow