Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dreamcast
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
HX20V vs buying a camcorder
Sep 20, 2012

Hello everyone. I had a few questions about the HX20V vs the handycam line of products from Sony.

While I owned one of these handycams I was very upset by its low image quality of stills.

Apparently the sensor on most of them is 1/3' for some reason. and the lower end ones even have 1/4' sensors.

The CX260V was the one I will be discussing because I bought it and returned it.

Apparently the camera is rated as being a 4.6mm sensor size and the aperture : F1.8-3.4

I took it out for some test shooting because the camera is rated to 8.9MP and the quality was probably the WORST I've ever seen.

The pictures it was spitting out were worse than my androids camera and I'm not joking.

So long story short I've called amazon and sent that camera back and now I'm looking at not getting a camcorder for stills.

Instead I've decided to go a different route and get a HX20V for video and photo

Here are some general questions I had tho, and the reason I signed up to this site.

1. Will the HX20V's 1/2.3 sensor pick up more light and make better photos than the CX260V? I noticed that the HX20V has a smaller aperture...

2. Can these cameras actually turn out better video than the handcam line of camcorders? I am guessing so, since they're higher MP and larger sensors.

3. Why do the tiny sensor camcorders cost so much money compared to the value of sensor and features you get with these P&S cameras?

4. Is it true that the HX20 and RX100 are limited to 29 minute shooting time, because if they shot longer it would classify them as video cameras?

I will be looking forward to any reply.
If you know the answer to any of my questions let me know.

& even if you dont know them all just give me some feedback. I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions.

Thanks for reading and looking

Ricoh CX2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow