Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fotoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Major gripe with OMD flash
Sep 20, 2012

First - FP only available in RC mode which means you can not hook a flash like the FL50R to hot shoe direct or with cord and shoot in FP mode. You have to set it as a wireless then attach the stupid little clip on. That means holding the other flash in left hand so now need mono pod to steady the cam.

Second - With the ISO 200 as base on a very sunny day you would have to be F22 at 1/250 to not blow the sky. So if you put an 8 stop ND filter on, you can only get down to f2.8 at 1/250. Can not use that extra stop to blur with the 25, 45, or 75.

OK so you can then use combo of ND8stop and FP at 1/500 or 1/1000 (if you want to darken the sky) - Will have to test to see if the FL50 has the power to pull this off even though will only be adding fill, but still back to RC and the stupid clip on.

With the D4 and some other Nikons (even the D7000) you have base iso of 100, shutter of 1/8000, and the SB900 will add enough for fill in even the harsh conditions mentioned above and works that way while attached to hotshoe.

Maybe I am being too picky. It is not an issue for many many shots and one tries to avoid the mid afternoon for portraits, but that is often the time me and my son are at a festival or picking out a pumpkin and he is backlit with need for fill. Maybe mad at myself for not checking this out before I got the OMD. It is a big deal though cause now I have no easy way to accomplish what I did a lot using D4 but in a smaller lighter package.

Nikon D4 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow