Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Power2g
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
D600 compared to D800
Sep 20, 2012

I am going to try to keep this short. I have had 4 D800s over the past 3 months, I had to return each because the AF issue is real and since I shoot negative space it was very important for me to use the far left sensor. Also, each body I encountered other issues such as randomly not responding, green tint in jpg but not in nef files, severe back focusing that could not be resolved with AFtune. I never intended to get a D600 but now that it is out I am contemplating it.

I handled a D600 briefly, it is a nice camera just too many options that are menu driven vs the a button on the D800. I do use 1/8000 shutter speed but may be able to compensate with the lower ISO, I use 1/250 flash sync not sure if I can compensate for that in the studio.

What really have me leaning towards the D600 over the D800 (while I was waiting for Nikon to fix the D800 bugs that they will not admit to) is the image quality is truly that close to the D800, plus the D600 does not have the green cast in the jpg images.

To see this is a real issue head over to http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM and compare the D800 to the D600 and in all of the images, ISO 50-25600, you will notice a green cast in the D800 images where the D600 renders no green cast.

However, what I love about the D800 over the D600 besides the build, design and buttons, the 51 point AF-System! It covers the viewfinder. The D600 39 point AF-System is just too concentrated in the middle of the frame for my taste; I do wish it covered more of the frame.

Anyone else using or have used the D800 thinking about the D600? I would like to hear your thoughts (but please check out http://www.imaging-resource.com first and compare the jpg images to see for yourself the quality comparison and the green cast in the D800 and no green cast in the D600).
--
Keep the art of photography alive

Power2g's gear list:Power2g's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow