ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dunazee
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
First prime lens purchase for new photographer
Sep 20, 2012

Hi all--

I think I'd like to try shooting with a prime lens, but I need some buying advice, and definitely more education/practice. I'm still learning the joys of manual mode.

I have a D3100, and the 18-55 and 55-200mm kit lenses. They're great, but I find that I don't like to use flash (I have the SB700 speedlight) as no matter what I do I seem to have crazy shadows, blown out whites, etc. So to me that means I need more light in the lens to avoid using the flash. The perfect shopping opportunity! (Aside from the aforementioned needed practice, need to work on my flash technique.)

I shoot a variety of subjects, but the flash opportunities are usually at indoor, poorly lit gatherings. I love to shoot at night with natural light and a tripod, gives an ethereal quality to an interesting landscape.

ANYway, that I need to learn more and shoot more is a given. However, if I were to invest in a prime lens, what would be a good choice for a beginning photographer? I'm thinking a 35mm or 50mm (DX of course, no plans to switch in the near future), with AF and VR, and I would prefer Nikon lenses, but I'm not picky if the quality is there and the price is better.

Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.

-- hide signature --

d

Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow