Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gauth
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
D600 Build Quality
Sep 20, 2012

I'm an amateur who owned a D700 for three years before it was stolen. I purchased a D600 to replace it and received it last night. Consistent with almost everyone else here, I've been very pleased with the low light capability, dynamic range, and even the auto focus system, which was one of my big concerns.

My biggest hesitation is the build quality. The D700 felt like a solid rock, was nicely contoured and all of the controls were solid, sufficiently large and well placed. With the D600, the main body feels solid and tight, but it's not contoured as nicely (more square edges that don't rest in the hand as well) and more importantly, the controls and buttons, particularly the M/AF focus switch and the multi-function (up,down,left,right) switch, feel cheap in comparison.

Before it was stolen, I always thought I'd be using the D700 for another 10 years because it was built like a tank. I know the D600 is an "advanced" camera and not "semi-pro" and wasn't expecting it to be built as well. Am I just letting my imagination run away with me or do others notice a big difference in the build quality of the controls?

Even my wife, who usually doesn't comment on such things, said that the D600 feels like plastic compared to the D700. I understand that there's not as much magnesium alloy in this but I'm surprised she noticed a big difference.

Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow