FZ200 600mm f/2.8 SOOC No PP

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rod Baakkonen
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 600mm f/2.8 SOOC No PP
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 20, 2012

I have been seriously considering getting a FZ200. I also have a GH2, but miss the long reach of the super zoom. I had a FZ30 for many years. Then went the GH1, GH2 Route. I mostly use the 14-140 lens. The GH2 pictures are usually clear and sharp enough that I can crop my pictures to get the reach I had with the FZ30. But the on camera 280mm vs the 420mm that I had on the FZ30 makes me interested in the FZ200.

I see lots of people having focus issues with the FZ200. I do lots of BIF, which I think the GH2 auto focus does a good job with. Some times when shooting birds in trees, I have to flip over to manual focus on the GH2. It can get confused about what I need in focus and the manual focus is easy to use. Below is an example of having to use the manual focus on the GH2 and the image cropping to get the reach I had with the FZ30.

What are your thoughts on the pluses and minuses of the FZ200 and the GH2? I think I would keep the GH2 for indoor/low light situations. And probably carry the FZ200 around with me all the time. Or do you think the FZ200 low light capabilities will make having the GH2 unnecessary. Thanks in advance. -Rod

-- hide signature --

Rod

Rod Baakkonen's gear list:Rod Baakkonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw 7 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow