ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 901Gear list
Like?
Card, charger, battery and questions for EX1
Sep 20, 2012

Hi guys,

So I've ordered the EX1, probably one of the last new ones in the world, heh.

I didn't receive it yet, but I had the EX1 borrowed for about a week last year, so I know what's it about. (IMHO: didn't fall love with it, but it's the best of the small-sensored cams IMHO.)

One thing that bugged me the most was card speed. I have a bunch of older SD cards, and despite all of them working just fine (in e.g. Nikon D60), the EX1 seemed particularly picky. The only card that worked well (at least tolerably fast with RAW) was my Sandisk Ultra II.

I'm going to buy new cards for this camera (2 x 8G probably) and I wonder if there would be ANY advantage in using a faster card? I.e. something better than a regular class 10? If I stick with Sandisk, there's Class 10, Class 10 video 30 MB/s, 45 MB/s,, UHS1...

Another thing that bugged me was the cable-only charging. I ordered a cheap charger from eBay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400167811510 ). Anyone has experiences with using these dirt cheap chargers? My guess is they shouldn't be any different than the original chargers supplied with MOST (eh!) cameras, but I've also heard some horror stories.

I'd also like to get a spare battery or two. The originals are pretty expensive and again, there're lots of ridiculously cheap spares on eBay. Anyone using those?

BTW is the Samsung cable one of its kind, or are there any other devices using this cable? May be it's the Korean standard USB, like the one with some Cowon music players?

Oh and since the camera I used last year had some old firmware, I'm wondering if in the meantime, they got rid of that stupid annoying grey bar on the bottom of the screen, digital zoom and the limitations during playback?

Thanks!

Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow