New SAL70200G soon?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
emmanuelg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573Gear list
Like?
Re: New SAL70200G soon?
In reply to Dennis, Sep 20, 2012

I agree.

I had the 80-200 G HS and focuses faster than my Sony 70-200G.

Dennis wrote:

If your 200G is a sharp copy, it trounces the 70-200 at 200/2.8. Obviously the zoom is a sharp lens and very flexible, but its weakest wide open, particularly at the long end. AF-wise, they're both quick, but the zoom seems nicer for tracking. That 200G is a great little (surprisingly little !) lens. I owned one years ago - loved it on film - oh yeah, the other benefit of the 200G is that it suffers very little with a 1.4X TC; IQ is still excellent wide open. Then I owned another one for a very short time on digital (the seller got a case of sellers remorse and I was content because I was experimenting, trying to see if I could live with the fixed focal length instead of a zoom, and wasn't really getting along trying to shoot sports with it).

Now I'm using the Nikon 70-200 VR II. It's sharper and faster (AF) than the Sony by a noticeable margin (and has excellent VR). I've tried the Canon - it might be a smidgeon faster and tests even slightly better. Sony really ought to get around to upgrading the 70-200 in the next couple years to complement the A77/A99.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Emmanuel

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." - King Solomon

emmanuelg's gear list:emmanuelg's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 1.4x Teleconverter
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow