A77 Poor low light Video compared to Nikon and Canon?

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141
Like?
A77 Poor low light Video compared to Nikon and Canon?
Sep 20, 2012

I was playing around with the movie mode on the A77 and I am curious as to why the movie mode does not perform as well as the movie mode on my Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 in low light situations.

The images are really dark compared to my other cameras. When looking at a scene with the viewfinder or rear LCD the images look fine until you hit the movie record button then they get really dark.

Since the camera forces a shutter speed of 1/60 sec I switched to manual mode and set the shutter speed down to 1/15 sec or so and it still does not perform as well as the Canon and Nikon under the same conditions. The images have bad lag and streaking due to the low shutter speed. The other two cameras use around 1/10 to 1/15 under the same conditions, but movement is much better with less streaking and ghosting issues. Plus you loose AF in manual mode on the Sony.

Is there some technical reason why the A77 exhibits this behavior compared to the 7D or D7000? Or am I missing something?

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow