GideonW
Contributing MemberPosts: 813
Like?
Re: You can do much better
In reply to WirenL, Sep 20, 2012

WirenL wrote:

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

WirenL wrote:

I would like to hear your input further... to make sure I know where you suggest to get a great quality PC built for under the 1K range, if that's possible, I may have to have my nephew talk to them....

LR supports lots of threads. I've built a few pc's for that type of work. And I usually favour AMD as a preference.

The Phenom II is not a slow CPU, but it's also an older one and I think you'd be better off if you are going AMD with an FX6100. It's quite good value, had a good performance and will perform better than the Phenom II

If you want to stick with Phenom II there are some 6 core ones around still. Either that or try an FX8120 CPU which can easily be clocked a bit higher if needed.

FX 6/8 models are quite good for this type of work. That's just my take

A lot of system builders prefer AMD you don't really need an i7 CPU it's very fast, but quite expensive.

The FX6100 will rip into high res raw files nicely..and chew into HD video work very well indeed.

That's my advice for a "good" but reasonable cost CPU. And best of all it costs around the same as a i3 processor, but is much faster for heavy threaded work

Thank you, sound advice and I will certainly look into it. I know my nephew stated that the Phenom was a quad core, but I will ask the guru's about this fx 6100

-- hide signature --

Lee Wiren

The FX-6100 has 3 "modules" each containing 2 "cores". Therefore it's advertised as a 6-core CPU, but the real story is more complicated. The FX processors don't have fully separate cores like the Phenom or Core i processors, but each pair of cores within a module shares certain components. An important component being shared is the floating point unit, which does all the calculations on floating point numbers. This is an essential component for photo-editing. And in the FX-6100, only 3 of these are present, while true quad-core CPUs such as the Phenom II X4 and the Core i5 and i7 processors have 4 floating point units.

The system sic0048 listed will offer far more value-for-money for all purposes other than gaming. I would recommend 2 small changes to it: The processor and motherboard are particularly suited towards overclocking. If you're not going to do that, save $20 and buy the Core i5 3550 CPU, which is not unlocked for overclocking. It's roughly 3% slower than the 3570K recommended by sic0048. In addition, you can do with a much simpler motherboard. From the same brand (Gigabyte) comes http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555 , which saves you over $100 on features you will almost certainly not need.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow