Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
me1948
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: OVF vs EVF put to rest
In reply to Piginho, Sep 20, 2012

Piginho wrote:

me1948 wrote:

It wouldn't matter if the ground glass of the A900 could resolve more pixels than the sensor in the camera. The viewfinder is so small that there is no way for the human eye to differentiate one pixel from the adjacent one without magnification.

Read what TrojMacReady wrote again, you'll find he is correct. Even if you bolt on a 2x angle finder, you still can't differentiate adjacent pixels in an OVF

You might be surprised at what the human eye can do. I have already posted a link that demonstrates the acuity of the human eye. Even if you don't think that you can resolve individual pixels, you would definitely see the difference between a 2.4Mp EVF and a 4.8Mp EVF. The same would apply to the difference between 4.8Mp and 9.6Mp. After some research, I am now not convinced that much improvement is to be had beyond about 9-10Mp, however that still remains to be seen.

BTW, have you ever looked into A900 viewfinder? It's one of the biggest in the business, as well as being one of the clearest. I'm not going to go over old ground here. You look up the information that I posted before, or not, I don't care, but I assure you that you would be able to tell the difference!

Also, you don't see pixels in an OVF, but you can define an equivalent resolving power.

BTW, TrojMacReady makes statements based on his own feelings or experience and not backed by empirical evidence. When I make a comment about resolving power, it is backed up by reliable external evidence, not just my subjective views. But, ho hum, believe who you want, or perhaps more importantly what you want. If you're happy with EVF, you have no reason to change anyway, but it doesn't mean that you can make unsupported statements unchallenged.

Acuity of the human eye is not in question. It's also rather besides the point that TMR was making.

This is not difficult. Look into an OVF, look at a magnified EVF view of the same subject, EVF shows more detail. It's the same as printing a 24mp picture at 8*12", then printing a crop from the full image at the same size.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow