ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,287Gear list
Like?
A 60mm f2.8 Macro and EM-5 Macro questions
Sep 20, 2012

Hi All,

As I sell off my Nikon gear I am looking to purchase a Macro Oly 60mm f2.8. FWIW my ultimate lens line up would be:

Panny 12-35 f2.8 (Have it, love it)
Panny 35-100 f2.8 (On order, yesterday 9/18)
Panny 100-400 (Have it)
Oly 60 f2.8 Macro (On order)

Sold my Oly 12mm f2
Sold my Oly 12-50mm
Still have my Oly 45mm f1.8

Could I use the 60mm Macro as a replacement for the Oly 45 for portraits? Since many use the 75mm f1.8 for this purpose, I thought a 60mm would not be that unreasonable. Could I expect decent Bokeh from this lens wide open. (I know it is not out yet, I just have not used a 60mm on a EM-5 so I was hoping these four lenses could fill my needs.) I can write a paper on the reasons to shoot primes, I just prefer zooms. Once I got my 12-35 Panny, the 12mm Oly never got used.

Also:

How do you use the rear LCD to shoot macro with. I know we can use the viewfinder to magnafy the image for manual focusing, but how do we optimize the EM-5's LCD for macro use. (Keep in mind, I have a pristine copy of a Nikkor 70-180mm Micro Nikkor. This is a real Macro zoom, not a zoom with a macro setting.) So I am debating keeping the Nikkor for Macro and keeping the 45mm for portrait work. However, I want small and lite and I feel the 60 may be satisfactory.

So please share your macro techniques, I would much appreciate it.

BTW, one reason (Among many) that I bought the EM-5 was the tilting rear LCD and Macro shooting. I thought that standing down looking into the screen would be a great way to shoot Macro while the camera was on a tripod. But searches give me the impression that Oly does not do zoom magnification on the rear OLED.

Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a MacBook Pro 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's! (Love the screen and touch pad, hate the keyboard.)

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow