NEX for travel (year long trip) - lenses advice would be really helpful.

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX for travel (year long trip) - lenses advice would be really helpful.
In reply to timetowastetime, Sep 20, 2012

timetowastetime wrote:

I'm going to be purchasing either a NEX 6 or 7 for a year long trip around the world.

Most of this will be backpacking so weight and size is an issue.

I'm looking for 2 or maybe 3 good lenses to take with me?

I was thinking,

• One wide angle

• One fast prime of around 50mm (equivalent) to leave on the camera most of the time for day to day shooting

• One tele zoom for anything else that comes up.

Really looking for lenses that are physically small, but also offer great image quality.

How great of image quality? 11x14 prints or screen viewing an 18-200 mm would probably be fine.

Can anybody make any suggestions? I'm feeling really overwhelmed with all the choice that is out there?

Are you going to be inside, outside, want shallow depth of field, etc?

I would say NEX 6 with 16-50 mm kit, then get at least 1 fast prime and maybe the 55-210, or is it 50-200?, if you won't use that range much, or if you will use the 50-200 range a lot skip it and get the 18-200 and two fast primes or a wide zoom and a fast prime. However, the 16-50 and 50-200 will likely perform better over the range than the 18-200, but you have to change lenses, and that can be a real problem in some situations.

I have a different system, but use a 16/2.4, 30/2, 60/f2.8 macro, and 85/1.4. If I want to go light and it is good light I take just an 18-200, there is a noticeable hit in image quality, but honestly it is fine for what I do. If I had to choose I would take the primes.

For Sony, I would take the new 16-50, and probably the 35 mm f/1.8, and maybe a legacy 85mm f/2 lens (fairly compact, or 135 mm f/3.5). Bottom line is you will make use of what you have.

My only real advice is buy it well in advance and shoot lots of pictures with it to get familiar with the camera. I generally feel I have a good feel for a camera or lens after maybe 500 or 1000 shots, your mileage may vary, but I am throwing that number out there to give you the idea I shoot a lot with a camera before I use it seriously.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow