TG-1 GPS

Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mittskitts
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-1 GPS
In reply to Tavannatta, Sep 20, 2012

I used mine for the first time today. I was on the road and had not bothered to do the download and update yet, and it worked fine. I did the download after I got back and will try it tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Anyway, you have to turn on the GPS functions in the camera through the menu (in the setup wrench icon #3 menu). They are "off" by default and they consume battery power so you may want to keep them off unless you specifically want to use them.

To see GPS data on the camera, you press and hold the menu button. It gives you text coordinates, nearby landmarks, etc., but doesn't show you a map.

To view GPS data from the picture, on a Mac computer, you open the picture with Preview and then open the Inspector window and select the GPS heading. This will show you the GPS data. The fun starts when you click the "locate" button in the Inspector window--it will open up Google Maps in your web browser and show you where the picture was taken!

I do not have a PC so I can't explain how to do this with a PC.

This is a very cool function.

Mittskitts's gear list:Mittskitts's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus SH-50 Olympus PEN E-PL1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow