Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,224Gear list
Like?
Lack of interest in E-PM2/E-PL5?
Sep 20, 2012

I counted only a handful of threads out of the past 200 giving mention to these two cameras announced just two days ago. It felt eerily similar to the G5 intro which also received a deafening silence. I personally found them anti-climatic, and wonder if others are left feeling the same.

This is in part due to mis-quoted MSRP's ($400 and $600 on 43Rumors vs. the actual $600 and $700), no fault of Olympus'. But it's also due to apparent lack of improvements to the IBIS of their predecessors, continued use of 16:9 LCD's yielding a tiny 2.3" image in native 4:3 format, compounded by an actual reduction in resolution in same.

I own an E-PM1 (along with a couple of Olympus DSLR's), and had planned to upgrade primarily for the E-M5 sensor. Had they remedied usable screen size, fixed the IBIS (maybe they have) and held MSRP at $500 this would have been a no-brainer.

But given the $100 MSRP increase and lack of improvements to IBIS and screen size, I'll likely opt instead for an E-M5 that puts all the pieces together in a better built body. Maybe this was their plan all along ;)?

Still two appealing cams, just not enough of a compelling reason to upgrade.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow