Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Innes
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice
In reply to Buchanan, Sep 19, 2012

Thanks! That's really helpful.

As an aside, my 5D3, 24-105 and speedlite 430 have arrived!! Been playing with them all evening! Taking some time to get used to the different control layout to my nikon experience. Loving it so far, spent most of tonight reading the manual cover-to-cover to get a feel for it Any good user guides online for the 5d3?

Cheers,
Richard.

Buchanan wrote:

Richard Innes wrote:

Also just realised there's a 70-200 f2.8 I and II. With the II being almost twice the price of I (I was refering to the I lense when I said the f4 version was half its price, the f4 version is a 1/4 of the price of the II version).

What are the main differences between the 70-200 I & II? better optics, or just better USM / IS etc?

Tks,
Richard.

Richard,

It is generally acknowledged that all 4 of the current 70-200 (plus the no longer offered 2.8v1) lenses are excellent. The f/4 you refer to that is 1/4 of the 2.8II price is the non-IS version while the f/4 version that is just over half the price of the 2.8II is the IS (VC) version.

There are differences in optics and also between the IS versions for those having that feature. The best in those areas, and in most people's view also regarding image quality is the 70-700L 2.8II. It is also the newest and most expensive. Most rate the f/4 IS version extremely close to it. I have both of these lenses and to me they seem equally sharp and equal in color and contrast. The 2.8 of course gives the advantages that 2.8 lenses give over f/4 lenses. The disadvantage is its large dimensions and weight. If I didn't shoot indoor sports I would have been plenty happy with only the f/4 IS.

The 2.8 non-IS reportedly provides excellent optical performance but not up to the level of the newer IS II version and of course it lacks IS. The f/4 non-IS provides a lot of bang-for-the-buck and gets you an L quality lens for the least amount of money of them all.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
D300 and all the gubbins...

Richard Innes's gear list:Richard Innes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow