Camera Progression

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Progression
In reply to lewynn, Sep 19, 2012

lewynn wrote:

Ok, so I'm certainly not a professional, I bought my 450D 2 years ago after doing a lot of looking. I got it because it was in my price range and had things I wanted and didn't have things I didn't want. I really didn't want video but now it seems it's standard fare for new cameras. Only after I got it did I realize that it had been discontinued. It will probably be a while before I get to upgrade, but you never know, a couple thousand dollars could just plop in my lap one day and Bingo! I'll get me something new. Which brings me to my question.

How in the heck do they come up with the numerical progression of cameras?

In my feeble mind I assumed that it was something like:

300D to 400D to 500D to 600D etc.
350D to 450D to 550D to 650D etc
5D - 6D - 7D
40D - 50D - 60D

So, why is the 6D coming out after the 7D? Where in the heck did the 1D come from? Now there's C's and X's after stuff, little a's and s's and they're sticking Mark III and IV in there too!!!

I need to hit the lottery so I can just buy one of each and see which one I like best!

Rebels increase in increments of 50, so the progression is 300D-350D-400D-450D and so on. As someone mentioned, the naming convention in the States is insane. Canon has also introduced defeatured versions of the rebel named 1000D and 1100D. However, lately Canon has simply lowered the price on last year's Rebel and treated that as its entry-level DSLR.

The next step up are the XXD prosumer/enthusiast cameras. So far there has been 10D, 20D, 30, 40D, 50D, and 60D cameras in this series. Interestingly, the 60D was the first in the XXD series that lost features relative to its predecessor. This happened because Canon came out with 7D, which is a professional-grade crop-sensor (APS-C) camera to presumably compete against the Nikon D300 crop-sensor camera. To differentiate the segments, the 60D lost lens micro-focus adjustment and has a slightly slower continuous shooting rate.

Most Canon followers think that the next camera in the APS-C pro line will be a 7D Mark II. We shall see. Since Nikon hasn't come out with a D300 replacement yet (most think it will/would be called the D400), Canon appears to be in no hurry to replace the 7D.

All XD cameras below 7 are now full frame. As previously mentioned, the 1D series is Canon's pro-journalist/action line. The 5D was the "entry-level" full frame camera. It did not have weather sealing and it had inferior AF relative to Nikon's entry. with the Mark III version, the 5D is truly a professional grade camera with SOTA AF, a more robust body, and a very good continuous rate.

The 6D (remember, the bigger the number, the lower the quality with APS-C cameras all considered lower quality than APS-H and full frame cameras) appears to have taken the position as the true entry level full frame camera. Therefore, the 6D probably should be the 5DMIII, and the camera currently with that name should have been the 4D. I guess because the sensor didn't change that much, Canon didn't want to take the criticism for lowering the number, and they also probably didn't want to telegraph their plans to introduce a new lower-featureed full-frame camera (introduction of a 4D would have prompted discussion about what the 5D replacement would look like and when it would appear).

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow