Should I hang on with Sony?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Arize
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: Your choice...
In reply to chlamchowder, Sep 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses on the dynamic range. My next questions are on AF and 50M lens. I have the 50mm 1.2 L and I have made a lot of magic with that lens and the thought of abandoning it really scares me. I wonder if anyone has thoughts on alternatives or how the rokkor 58 1.2 compares. Also want to know how well the AF on the A77 or A99 perform in low light (like at a night club). Thanks.

chlamchowder wrote:

Does anyone know if the A99 will have better dynamic range than the 5DMKIII given the translucent mirror?

5DMkIII sensor is not rated highly when it comes to Dynamic Range. In fact, it has a score of only 11.7 EVs. I fully expect A99 to easily top A77 (which is 13.2 EV).

I agree - even with the SLT mirror, the a99 should allow for better shadow recovery. The a55 retains 12.4 EV of dynamic range, down from the a580's 13.3 EV, but that's still higher than Canon's sub-12 EV scores. The D600, which probably uses the same sensor as the a99, has a score of 14.2 EV. I'll bet that the a99 will beat the 5D Mark III in this area even with the translucent mirror.

Arize's gear list:Arize's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow