Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil_Rose
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Like?
SX50 HS or Panasonic DMC-FZ200?
Sep 19, 2012

Hi all, I'm sure many people are talking about this but I thought I would ask you lot too in light of my personal situation. Here's the thing. I have Pentax dSLRs for my professional work. I have a Canon G12 for everyday stuff but I want a high quality lighter camera for trips and landscape but it has to be high quality. I don't care too much about super long lenses (mostly landscapes with wide angle). The VITAL things are RAW and very wide lens (the G12 is great but 28mm is restrictive. This camera is to be a second shooter for when needed or in case of failure or loss on a trip) So here's what I think are the relevant points.

1) Canon is 1mm wider at the wide end. I like 24mm and would worry I would miss that single mm!

2) f2.8 is tempting but would the supposedly better IS make up for that? (of course, image blur in an f2.8 background would be nice too but I can use Topaz Labs to fake that in important shots). Since I intend to do a lot of landscapes high shutter speed isn't usually going to be that important.
3) the wheel on the front of the Panasonic is nice.
4) a plug in mic on the Panasonic would also be nice

5) I have had several Canons and know I trust them to take great images. Would a Panasonic stand up to that quality? (this is the bottom line, of course. If a camera doesn't take good pics all the extra controls are useless)
6) I have a dedicated flash for my G12 that I could use on the SX50.

7) I like to do nocturnal work and worry that 15 secs on the Canon might be restrictive (the Panasonic does 60 sec).

8) the Canon is a little cheaper but I am prepared to pay more for the right item since I intend to keep it for a long time.

I think that's about it. I'll add any extra thoughts as I have them. So, given these facts which would you have any thoughts on which I should go for? I'll post this on the Panasonic forums too so hopefully I'll end up with a balanced response!

Thanks for any thoughts,

Phil
--
I like turtles.

http://www.philrosephoto.com

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
omgNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow