6D VS. 5D Mark II - upgrade dilemma.

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
canon35l
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D VS. 5D Mark II - upgrade dilemma.
In reply to meland, Sep 19, 2012

meland wrote:

canon35l wrote:

I bought the 5D II few months ago after being disappointed with the high price of the new 5D III. I preferred to spend the money difference on lenses rather than the body.

However, I am really far from being happy with the autofocus capabilities of the 5D II in low light.

Really? What are you trying to photograph?

Family and friends event in dark areas, pubs, beach, gardens and night photography in travels

Do you think the 6D is a great improvement on this field? or should I just save and upgrade to 5D III in few years?

Nobody knows yet if the 6D is an improvement or not in that area yet. The low light specifications suggest that it might be good in low light but specifications are one thing and experience another. So wait and see.

What do you think in general about selling a 5D II for a 6D?

Wait and see.

I tried to count the differences, tell me what you think:

+ WiFi, GPS (I use GPS logger, with the 6D I can get rid of it)
+ More sensitive central focus point (by how much? what difference does it make)
+ Lower noise at high ISO

• only 1/180 flash sync

Compared with what? 1/200s - do you realise that's 0.1 of an F Stop? What practical difference will that make to you?

• only 1/4000 max shutter speed

Only! Have you ever used faster?

• no sync-cable connection

Did I miss anything?
What do you think?

I think wait a while, let the dust settle, think about it carefully and don't make hasty decisions that you may regret. In the meantime be very happy with what you have, it's a very fine camera.

when the dust settles my 5d will not be worth much, I am considering to sell very soon or only in few years

canon35l's gear list:canon35l's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Sony RX100 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow