Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,227Gear list
Like?
For Bart, RX100 observations, anyone else is welcome
Sep 19, 2012

Bart, as you asked I will tell you my thoughts. I only process one or two RAW as I have to get some more loaded on the computer but the jpegs I worked with gave me a very good feel for this camera.

It is small, smaller than a GRD, it is different than a ricoh but the UI is pretty good, they have a nice function button to set for 7 different functions to be brought up easily. I use AP always so that is a good one for me, could not find a way to turn NR off yet but once aperture updates it's RAW and if not I will have to consider Lightroom, it will not matter.

I have assigned manual zoom to the ring around the lens (I had it on selecting my F stop but changed my mind). The camera is just different but not harder or more difficult, just different, UI is pretty good as I said above.

The jpegs are just so much better than Ricohs, they are really quite nice. I am not sure how much more RAW will bring to the party. I checked the lens diligently for corner softness as some reports have been made, none at all, clear from edge to edge. I did make sure I got a made in Japan model (not that that guarantees it will be better, it may have only been their test) but I wanted that over MIC.

The 28 to 100mm zoom is pretty much what I wanted, a bit more would have been nice but I don't want to trade the size. I won't be selling my GRD but the GXR well if it is worth anything may go as it is just easier for me to put a small camera in a bag and forget the rest.

This is a nice camera, a little pricey but no more than a Ricoh is when they come out....

So I will try this and hope I fall in love with it, right now I am quite enamored by it.

Best I could do with just one short outing...

hope this is what you were looking for.
Joel

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow