Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,000Gear list
Like?
For Bart, RX100 observations, anyone else is welcome
Sep 19, 2012

Bart, as you asked I will tell you my thoughts. I only process one or two RAW as I have to get some more loaded on the computer but the jpegs I worked with gave me a very good feel for this camera.

It is small, smaller than a GRD, it is different than a ricoh but the UI is pretty good, they have a nice function button to set for 7 different functions to be brought up easily. I use AP always so that is a good one for me, could not find a way to turn NR off yet but once aperture updates it's RAW and if not I will have to consider Lightroom, it will not matter.

I have assigned manual zoom to the ring around the lens (I had it on selecting my F stop but changed my mind). The camera is just different but not harder or more difficult, just different, UI is pretty good as I said above.

The jpegs are just so much better than Ricohs, they are really quite nice. I am not sure how much more RAW will bring to the party. I checked the lens diligently for corner softness as some reports have been made, none at all, clear from edge to edge. I did make sure I got a made in Japan model (not that that guarantees it will be better, it may have only been their test) but I wanted that over MIC.

The 28 to 100mm zoom is pretty much what I wanted, a bit more would have been nice but I don't want to trade the size. I won't be selling my GRD but the GXR well if it is worth anything may go as it is just easier for me to put a small camera in a bag and forget the rest.

This is a nice camera, a little pricey but no more than a Ricoh is when they come out....

So I will try this and hope I fall in love with it, right now I am quite enamored by it.

Best I could do with just one short outing...

hope this is what you were looking for.
Joel

Joel Stern's gear list:Joel Stern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow