G1X upgrade questions - right camera for me?

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Larry251
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
G1X upgrade questions - right camera for me?
Sep 19, 2012

I currently have an S90 and a Panny FZ 35. I find I use the S90 the majority of the time, but I really miss not having a view finder (and sometimes the extra zoom). I had been thinking for some time about getting a DSLR for flexibility, better image quality,,especially in low light, and for the view finder, but I have always been put off by the size. I also am not really prepared to lay out a lot of money on lenses and wonder if I wouldn't wind up using one versatile lens the majority of the time anyway. I also have considered 4/3 cameras and the like, but for whatever reason I just never went that route.

I'm not an avid photographer -- at least not yet :-), but rather tend to use the camera when going away on business trips, vacations, family events, etc.

I thought maybe upgrading from the S90 to a G1X might make some sense. It seems to provide close to DSLR IQ in many situations, it's bigger than an S90, but still not huge, has a little more zoom, which would be helpful and has something of a viewfinder, even if it is not all that great. I don't usually find myself taking action or macro shots, so I wouldn't think the slower auto focus or lack of DSLR speed should be too much of an issue.

So, what are the general thoughts. Does is this the right camera for someone like me? Or would I perhaps be better off with a 4/3 with an EVF? Is the G1X viewfinder completely useless?

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow