This IBIS is really beyond amazing. (SAMPLE)

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,046
Like?
This IBIS is really beyond amazing. (SAMPLE)
Sep 19, 2012

I'm trying out my ZD12-60 lens on the E-M5, as a test for an upcoming job in which I anticipate having to deal with low light and no possiblity of flash.

And I think we all know by now that the E-M5 IBIS is pretty good, but what I just experienced is so impressive that I want to share.

I did a test shot in my conference room. Test subject is a small bookstand with some books and a telephone. The room is not illuminated. Just some stray light, coming from behind and besides the subject, where there is a glass door a couple of meters further, with dim light coming from the reception area.

Here is the photo :

In order to be able to upload quickly with no fuss, I did not shoot RAW, but JPG.

This one is straight OOC with no PP whatsoever.
It is a Middle size file with Normal compression.
(A Large file with (Super) Fine compression would probably show more detail.)

P Mode with IBIS enabled, results in a photo shot at 3200 ISO (my limit for auto-ISO).
Aperture is F4 (wide open for the lens fully zoomed in to 60mm).
The shutter speed is 1/1.3sec (or 0,8sec - almost a full second).
At ISO3200 and F4, that gives you an indication of the actual darkness.

• Looking with the naked eye into the room, the bookstand is a dark form with almost no texture or detail. Just a dark mass against a wall that is grey with darkness (maybe fifty shades of grey, I did not count).

• On the photo, you can read the titles of the books on their spines quite easily. And in the full-size image: almost the name on my calling card, before the portable phone. The other calling card shows one of my wife's paintings.

I don't know about you, but I think that is amazing.

It is not a one-time lucky shot. I did it again another two times.
OK, my handholding technique is not bad, but IBIS is a HUGE help here.

If I disengage IBIS, the results are predictable : a pretty bad blur - you can just about recognize the book stand but that's it.

(same circumstances, minutes later, and trying to stand roughly on the same spot and to keep equally steady; again 60mm and ISO3200, F4 at 1/1.6sec or 0,62sec this time: that's just a bit faster in the shutter...)

I've always felt that IBIS on the E-3 and E-5 were good, but not really spectacular. Not something that I would start a thread about.
IBIS on the E-M5 is in a totally different league.

Sorry for the long post.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow