Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lukeols
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
NEX-5N vs. Nikon 3100
Sep 19, 2012

I am looking for some help regarding getting a new camera. For the last few months, i have had the Oly EPM-1. Unfortunately, my car was broken into, and it was stolen, so I am in the market once again.

I had the EPM1 with the kit lense. Some things i liked about it were the fast AF, size, great IQ (in most situations), and the all around ease of use of the camera.

Some things that i didnt like: the low light performance seemed noisy to me. Exposures over 15-20 seconds just didnt have the clear, crisp quality that i would like. I am sure this is a combination of my skill and the camera, maybe leaning towards the former as the main contributer. THe other thing was the lack of available accessories and lenses. I had trouble tracking down any filters, and there are just not that many lense options for my budget.

I do realize that my budget is a major limiting factor here, so know that i do realize that there are lenses out there, just not a lot of options.

What i am asking is advice on the next camera. I have 500 to spend, so i am just looking for a body and kit lense (probably?) for the next 6 months or so.

Most important to me is size (i mostly use the camera for outdoor trips, backpacking, climbing), night shooting quality (landscapes, stars, northern lights). I havent held either the nex or the nikon yet, so i will form an opinion on how they feel in my hand when i get the chance.

The nex and the nikon are the two that have stood out most in the last week for research. I know they are different cameras, but they seem to be comparable for what i will be using them for. What do you all think between the two? Any other suggestions in that price range?

Thanks!

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow