Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelK81
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Farewell, D300
Sep 19, 2012

Wow, it feels like ages since I've posted on the D300 forum. Incredible how quickly the time flies. But I figured, what better place to pay homage to the camera that helped get our family business off the ground? Here, this body is as well known for all its charm as no other place.

I've owned the D300 since it was first released. I still remember eagerly awaiting an update from Ritz Camera. I sorted through my morning e-mail everyday, hoping to see an update on the order. When it finally shipped (Nov. 2007), it felt like Christmas. Boy, what a body! (pun fully intended). At the time I had used a D70s, and while it fared well, its viewfinder felt like looking through a tunnel, and well, it just felt old and slow (and it was).

My D300 was THE camera. Shortly after I bought the vertical grip, which stayed attached 95% of the time (except when I shot landscapes), and I couldn't be happier. My wife and I decided to get into photography full-time in 2008, focusing on portrait photography of children, families, and ultimately maternity as well. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this camera, because it allowed my creative vision to roam free. Its autofocus was spot-on while others complained about missed shots. I could comfortably shoot at up to ISO 800 WITHOUT doing any noise-reduction.

We've had a good run, my D300 and I. After some four years of being in my hands day after day, the grip was totally worn, the AF-ON button was just a button without a label, and I've given-up on trying to remove certain pieces of dust off its sensor. I just gave them names instead. The blob in the upper left was Slinky. Slinky never came off. I could rely on Slinky to show-up from time to time in a photo, but mostly we never spoke.

I'd post some photos of my D300, as she went-up on eBay in May, but I want to remember her for the photos she took, not how she looked

Here is a photo from the last portrait session my D300 photographed in April of this year. I hope your new owner gets as much out of you as I have. Be well, you will be missed.

And to all you other D300 users, I'm sure you share similar praise. Take care of them, and they'll repay you with wonderful photos.

My D300.

-
MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.michaelkormos.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow