24-70 f/2.8L II LensRental test

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Re: 24-70 f/2.8L II LensRental test
In reply to Ubiquity99, Sep 19, 2012

Ubiquity99 wrote:
Why do you people still think that there is anything wrong with modern plastics?

The 24-70 II is significantly more durable than the 24-70 I.

7enderbender wrote:

What is your impression of the build quality? The fact that this new version is lighter and made from plastic makes me (again) kick myself that I didn't buy the original 24-70 two years ago and went with the less impressive 24-105 instead.

I see no benefit other than that it is cheaper for the manufacturer and increases their profit margin. I don't have a problem with that but I will NEVER pay over $2000 for a lens made of plastic, modern or otherwise.

I don't like the feel of it, I don't trust its longeing and stability, I simply don't want.

Even more so since there have been prototypes out there with a metal barrel.

And I can't be the only one who sees it like this. Computer manufactures are outdoing themselves at the moment to follow Apple who went out of their way to make metal laptops, phones and other stuff and even include other more "natural" feeling materials like glass.

Just like everything else this is not just about function but about feel and confidence. To me it has always been important how a camera feels and balances - which was the main reason I never "upgraded" from the FD film Canons to the EOS system until there was no way around it any longer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow