ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevesayskanpai
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Nikon Auto ISO
Sep 19, 2012

Hi all,

Maybe I should have put this q in the beginner's thread. If so, I apologise.

Ever since I bought my D40 4 years ago I've left it in Nikon's AUTO ISO mode, with a min shutter speed of 1/15, and max ISO of 1600. I've come to rely on this mode too much perhaps.

But now I'm getting ready to buy the D5100, I was wondering how many more experienced photographers ACTUALLY use this mode? Do you leave the camera in this mode when, say, it's handheld, or do you always select the ISO yourself, using the exposure guide in the viewfinder to help get the correct exposure?

E.g. if I was shooting inside and wanted the lowest shutter speed I could handhold, e.g. 1/50, would you then select a reasonable aperture, e.g. f/9, and set your own ISO to get a good exposure in this situation, OR would you use the AUTO ISO to let the camera make this decision itself?

If you can give any practical examples that'd be great.

Cheers and thanks for your patience!

stevesayskanpai's gear list:stevesayskanpai's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow