6D VS. 5D Mark II - upgrade dilemma.

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365
Like?
Re: 6D VS. 5D Mark II - upgrade dilemma.
In reply to canon35l, Sep 19, 2012

You missed that the 6d will focus in lower light than any other camera made--down it -3 ev. Since you like to shoot in low light, and you also believe that the 6d will have good high iso images (on what do you base that?), it sounds like the 6d would be a good choice for you. The AF on the 5d2 is why I never upgraded from the 7d until the 5d3 came along.

The other limitations of the 6d would not bother me, but would they bother you? do you shoot with flash a lot? How often do you need a shutter speed above 1/4000?

I would imagine that the AF on the 6d is going to be simpler than the 7d or 5d3 or 1dx, but I would expect it to be very good and quick for a focus and recompose style of shooting--which is generally what I do.

All this said, it will be important to see some reviews. Butthe availability of the 6d is already affecting the price you will get for the 5d2 and will do so even more once it is available.

canon35l wrote:

I bought the 5D II few months ago after being disappointed with the high price of the new 5D III. I preferred to spend the money difference on lenses rather than the body.

However, I am really far from being happy with the autofocus capabilities of the 5D II in low light. Do you think the 6D is a great improvement on this field? or should I just save and upgrade to 5D III in few years?

What do you think in general about selling a 5D II for a 6D?
I tried to count the differences, tell me what you think:

+ WiFi, GPS (I use GPS logger, with the 6D I can get rid of it)
+ More sensitive central focus point (by how much? what difference does it make)
+ Lower noise at high ISO

• only 1/180 flash sync

• only 1/4000 max shutter speed

• no sync-cable connection

Did I miss anything?
What do you think?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow