NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
Re: I kind of agree with you
In reply to JulesJ, Sep 19, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Sante Patate wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Firstly, lets look at the word "homophobia". In English, a phobia is an irrational fear of something. Now, you might argue that some people's dislike of homosexuals stems from an irrational fear, and you would be right. But it's certainly not the only reason why some people dislike homosexuals. For example, a lot of people have religious reasons for disliking homosexuals. I think that the word "homophobia" was invented by people with a political motivation for equating a dislike of homosexuals with irrational behaviour. The use of the word "homophobia" in the context of this sportsman is therefore a political choice.

No. There is no such thing as "religious reasons for disliking homosexuals". You can have religious reasons for thinking that homosexuals are sinners, but not for disliking them. Disliking homosexuals is homophobia.

Absolutely correct. I am not particularly religious although I do not deny a God for exactly these reasons. Sadly religion is often used for an excuse to hate certain groups. All religions seem to have certain types of people or actions of those people (abortion for example) that they class as unacceptable. i thought religion was meant to be about being good to your fellow citizens which I hope I am without being religious. And they use these rules to create hate. Some for instance class women as second rate individuals. Most Americans would disagree with this I'm sure. So don't use religion to enforce homophobic views.

I disagree with you both. I have seen / heard of plenty of religious people who cite religious reasons for disliking homosexuals. Some people dislike "sinners" or "lawbreakers" and regard homosexuals as falling into one of those two groups. Christianity and Islam are two religions with particularly strong prohibitions on homosexuality. For example, Christians are taught that their deity considers homosexuality to be "an abomination" and instructs that practicing homosexuals "should be put to death" (source: Leviticus 18:22). Now, I'm not a religious person myself but I imagine that some Christian kid who grows up hearing that homosexuals are perverts who should be killed would have strong psychological reasons for disliking homosexuals.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow