Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,613Gear list
Like?
sharpest possible long lens for Q?
Sep 19, 2012

I've been considering what to do about a superlong bird shooting setup, now that the rumor of the 560/5.6 being affordable has turned out false... and I keep coming back to the Q. It really does make sense as the effective way to get those long shots. It would be affordable and compact for the purpose like nothing else out there.

The one fly in the ointment is, the sensor will be absolutely merciless with the tiniest lens flaws. Even the diffraction circle on a typical long lens might be a few pixels across, I dunno. So the question is... of all possible lenses that might be bodged onto a Q, regardless of mount , which ones would rank as the absolute sharpest in the center?

I'm thinking that a focal length around 200mm would probably be the right ballpark. A 75-300 zoom might be ideal, if it were ultra-sharp. Which it probably wouldn't be.

The obvious no-brainer choice would probably be the DA* 300, but that may actually be too long, and perhaps unnecessarily costly too.

Since the lens would be reduced to manual focus, I assume, an older lens might be fine. Hopefully there's some kind of crappy adapter out there for various non-Pentax mounts... they may lack the internal shutter but that may not be too important.

So what's your nomination for the sharpest medium-long lens (in the center) it's possible to get, regardless of mount?

. . . . (it occurs to me that if possible, this might be a good time to use an optically stabilized lens. Of course, that may not be compatible with maximum center sharpness.)

-- hide signature --

keepers: K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "Billy Bass"

discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Pentax 02 Standard Zoom +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow