Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fleabag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301
Like?
Yesterday's Birds with musings
Sep 19, 2012

I am encouraged by " working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expected by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250 f2.8 fixed aperture zoom"

I use C-AF exclusively for BIF, not because it works great but because I can't keep stabbing at the shutter when in S-AF and expect to track a bird. So with C-AF you hope to have a nice wing position and be in focus at the same time. Luck plays a role here, but you do need to have the bird in the frame which can also be difficult. As for the other settings, I have tried them all and I really can't say that one worked better than the other.

All of these are close to 1/2000 f4 and ISO 400. Pretty standard settings I use in manual mode. I will adjust the ISO upward slightly to try and keep the shutter speed up. I don't like going over 400 but will push it to 800. Just too much noise visible over 400 which can be seen in some of the darker areas of the under wing.

Mallard Female

Northern Pintail
Eye is not quite sharp enough

Lesser Yellowlegs (I Think, hard to tell greater from lesser)

Another example of the focus point on the wing and not on the eye. I just does not look quite right...

Cinnamon Teal - Anas cyanoptera

Small duck that usually will not fly too close unlike mallards so it's hard to get that close up image that I like.

Northern Pintail
Notice that at this time of the year, they are missing the "Pintail"

This bird was a little farther out than the other one, but I liked the background. Notice how the crop starts to degrade the background. I always denoise the background using Nik Define in brush mode so I can apply it where I want it but still the backgroud "noise" kinda sucks.

Pacific-slope Flycatcher

Rather harsh light, but these birds are so beautiful that I can't help but photograph them. Shot using the EC-20. Fall starts the migration here on the pacific flyway and these are but a few of the many variety's that will invade the bay area. I also shot a willow flycatcher but too many sticks in the way

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow