Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
K-5 tackles Canadian Rockies
Sep 19, 2012

Fifteen years after our previous visit, my wife and I made it back to Banff. After much deliberation, we took our K-5, 35mm/2.4, 10-10 Sig, 55-300, and Bigma along. Thoughts upon return:

1. The great dynamic range minimized the need for HDR, even in very high-contrast shots. Our backup Lumix ZS7 was good to have, but not remotely in the same league.

2. The 55-300 was plenty for our wildlife needs--what we saw (bears, moose, sheep, coyotes) was near enough that we never needed the Bigma.

3. We got a lot of use out of the 10-20 at the wide end. I was glad I didn't opt for the better IQ of the 15mm prime.

4. The Fader adjustable ND filter was phenomenal for moving water shots, even in full sun.
5. Having a lightweight tripod was a must.

6. Saw a few Pentaxians, lots of Canikon crop SLR's, a few full-frame users, and hardly anyone who was using their equipment for anything that an I-phone wouldn't have sufficed for (family squinting into bright sunlight in front of unevenly-lit Lake Louise, etc.).

Some of our favorites are below.

Pentax K-5 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow