XQD is dead

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
redhed17
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
Re: XQD is dead
In reply to jjnik, Sep 18, 2012

Nikon probably put the XQD card in the D4 in good faith that there would be at least some Sony products that would include it. It may be aimed at Pros, but it needed to be in semi pro, and even consumer products, to build up a user base to increase supply and availability, and bring prices down

As soon as Sony didn't put in any of the high end cameras, especially in any cameras that have two card slots, the format was dead. Add to that Nikon not using it in any other cameras too, and I hope most of the D4 owners got the free XQD card and card reader, because other wise they could be left with a useless card slot that could be very expensive to fill. :-/

Sad, because XQD seemed to have the good points of CF and SD, the speed and robustness of CF, and the size and recessed contacts of SD.

I've had a well worn (not mine either :-() SD card disintegrate in my fingers, so I'll always favour CF or something as strong.

And if this format fails, any other planned new format will probably go the same way.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow