GH3 for stills only?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ispress Forum Member • Posts: 96
GH3 for stills only?

I'm having the damnedest time deciding which camera to buy, and would like to ask for some input from the forum. I'm coming from P&S (Canon S95) and film, and am ready to significantly upgrade my gear. As everyone knows, the past year has seen a real onslaught of great looking cameras, culminating with Photokina.

For a long time, I had my heart set on the OM-D, but I finally had a chance to handle one and the ergnomics don't work for my big hands. I'm still drawn to M4/3, but the only other weather sealed camera is the new GH3. I suspect I'd like the handling of it, but I'm concerned about paying for a bunch of video features that I will never use.

Undoubtedly like others who are in the market right now, I also go round a bit on the Fuji X-E1 and NEX-6, but RAW conversion on the Fuji is a concern and NEX cameras lack a certain something.

Another option would be to move to a DSLR like the Pentax K5 II, particularly with its larger sensor.

Ah, the way our brains can tie us in knots! Ultimately, M4/3 holds great appeal. I love the lens selection and I believe the system has a bright future. So since this is the M4/3 forum, I'll return to my original question:

Do you think the GH3 is worth the premium if you don't plan to shoot video? The ergonomics and weatherproofing appeal (I shoot outdoors a lot), but I wonder if the value is really there fore still photographers.

PS -- Feel free to flame me. I know this post is a bit flaky. I also recognize that the GH3 hasn't been tested or reviewed yet. But that doesn't help when you need to pre-order a camera, so I would appreciate anyone's willingness to speculate here.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow