Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
GH3 for stills only?
Sep 18, 2012

I'm having the damnedest time deciding which camera to buy, and would like to ask for some input from the forum. I'm coming from P&S (Canon S95) and film, and am ready to significantly upgrade my gear. As everyone knows, the past year has seen a real onslaught of great looking cameras, culminating with Photokina.

For a long time, I had my heart set on the OM-D, but I finally had a chance to handle one and the ergnomics don't work for my big hands. I'm still drawn to M4/3, but the only other weather sealed camera is the new GH3. I suspect I'd like the handling of it, but I'm concerned about paying for a bunch of video features that I will never use.

Undoubtedly like others who are in the market right now, I also go round a bit on the Fuji X-E1 and NEX-6, but RAW conversion on the Fuji is a concern and NEX cameras lack a certain something.

Another option would be to move to a DSLR like the Pentax K5 II, particularly with its larger sensor.

Ah, the way our brains can tie us in knots! Ultimately, M4/3 holds great appeal. I love the lens selection and I believe the system has a bright future. So since this is the M4/3 forum, I'll return to my original question:

Do you think the GH3 is worth the premium if you don't plan to shoot video? The ergonomics and weatherproofing appeal (I shoot outdoors a lot), but I wonder if the value is really there fore still photographers.

PS -- Feel free to flame me. I know this post is a bit flaky. I also recognize that the GH3 hasn't been tested or reviewed yet. But that doesn't help when you need to pre-order a camera, so I would appreciate anyone's willingness to speculate here.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow