Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: 18mm vs 18-55
In reply to liquid stereo, Sep 18, 2012

liquid stereo wrote:

What I don't like about the 18-55 is the following:

• coupling it to the OVF (on X-Pro1).

• the size.

• I already have the 35mm and the 35-55mm range is fairly slow.

The zoom really only works well with the EVF. I like the OVF a lot.

How can you be so sure? I was at the Photokina today, and I tried the 18-55 on one of their XP1s (because mine was not yet upgraded to 2.00). The framelines work in the OVF, that is, they zoom in tandem with the lens. Looked very good and effective, only downside sofar that at the wide end, the lens blocks a significant part of the viewfinder within the framelines (which are then at their widest). And that was without a lenshood (come to think of it, I haven't seen a lenshood, nor did I ask for one. It was very crowded at the Fuji stand). On the other hand, it didn't bother me a lot - I think I can live with it. Focusing was fast. And I took a few shots on a card of my own which show excellent bokeh - usually a weak point in zooms (no, I am not going to upload those shots, they were taken too haphazardly to be of any objective value, but they make a good impression on me - again, given the circumstances). So I am going to order this lens, primarily as a telephoto lens, as I am confident it will 'draw' nicely (prime like) for portraits and such. And it can double up as a zoom in bad weather, or when there's dust in the air or no time to switch lenses. At 55mm the widest opening is 'only' f4, but that is enough for me, as the lens has image stabilization and at that focal length at f4 the depth of field is still very narrow. (Truth be told, I am not particularly fond of portraits that only have one eye in focus.)

Lastly, I figure this place is as good as any to thank Fuji for the updated firmware. Just to mention one aspect, it is really a great improvement that the lenses now focus wide open.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow