GH3 "new 16MP multi-aspect ratio sensor"

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
DjarumBlack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?
Re: image circle not pixels
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 18, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

No. The GH2 sensor simply uses all of the existing image circle in 3:2 and 16:9 modes. The standard m43 sensor wastes more and more of it as you crop.

DjarumBlack wrote:

If I understand correctly, then, if the image circle(well, really the sensor) is wider than the traditional mFT sensor, then the FOV is wider too. I guess I can see this advantage for wide angle stuff. Does't that mean the lenses have to also be able to illuminate that larger image circle?

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Visuals always help me. I went to the GH2 review from dpreview and looked at what is going on. The sensor is actually larger than the image circle. A crop of the sensor is still going on. It is just that the crop in any format uses the entire image circle and the corners of the sensor that are cropped off aren't in the image circle to begin with. I didn't realize the sensor was actually bigger.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow