The end of multi-aspect ratio sensors?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
BJL
BJL
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,740
Like?
Re: The end of multi-aspect ratio sensors?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 18, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

The G5 and GH3 do not share the same sensor. The specs are completely different.

"completely different" is rather strong: the only difference I know in the specs of the sensor itself are

• the higher total pixel count of 18.3MP for the G5 vs 17.2MP for the GH3, and

• the added lower ISO options of 160 on the G5, vs 200 minimum for the GH3.

Everything else about the sensor looks the same, including output pixel count options (different than the GH2), video resolution/frame rate options of up to 1920x1080 at 60p, and 23 AF points.

Are there others differences in specs for the sensor (not subsequent processing)? Because as I speculated, that weirdly high G5 total pixel count could be a copying error (copy and incomplete update from the GH2 specs?), and minimum ISO speed can vary for the same sensor according to design decisions about how much highlight headroom to have at minimum ISO speed (as with "Lo" modes on some cameras.)

But if there are significant other differences in sensor specs, my speculation falls.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach:
you can have any two at one time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow