RX100: Any Lensmate Filter System Reviews?

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Re: RX100: Any Lensmate Filter System Reviews? Yes + IR worked
In reply to Len_Gee, Sep 18, 2012

Its marginal for handheld shooting as the IR blocking filter is pretty strong, so your pretty much as ISO3200 and maybe 1/30th f1.8 with the filter on even on a bright sunny day, which while not bad, certainly isn't the camera at its best.

Luckily though, the lens doesn't have any hot spots and if you can use a tripod, gives quite nice IR results if you shoot at low ISO.

Its no substitute for an ir modded camera, but can add some fun to the camera, especially during otherwise poor for photography midday sun all for the cost of a filter

Len_Gee wrote:
Would be interested in the infrared capabilties of the RX100.
Can you post a few IR pics taken with the camera?
Here or web gallery, or your DPR gallery.

Thanks.

FocalPoint_L wrote:

Yes. I received the 49mm set today. The installation video and instructions were very good.

It works as advertised -- so far -- I haven't traveled with the camera over time to see if the ring that uses adhesive stays on the camera. But it seems fine.

I like the short-turn, bayonet mount. I don't see any advantage to a magnet-style version.

It comes with a small carry case and lens cap, which you only need to protect the filter if you leave it on the camera.

Now I have to get a 49mm CPL and maybe ND filters, or just use step-up rings with the ones I have. My tests today were with a 49mm linear (old fashion) polarizer I had around from the film/manual focus days, and the camera focused and metered fine. But supposedly AF cameras should be used only with CPLs.

One more thing, I tried a #87 IR filter and the RX100 worked for infrared photography with no hot spots in the limited tests I did. The image was deep magenta, but a quick grayscale and autocontrast in Photoshop produced a decent IR photo.

LR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow