Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 4 vs. Raw Therapee
Sep 18, 2012

I'm pretty frugal... and have been using Free Raw Therapee for my raw processing since I've taken up photography a 1/2 year ago. It has an amazing amount of adjustments once you learn what you are doing and can produce highly detailed images, but several key drawbacks:

-Very very slow processing
-Overall complexity of workflow
-Challenged ability to work well with Noise

Several months ago I posted a (terrible) photo taken shortly after dawn in Park City, UT. The building faces were nearly black and the sky was bright and the colors were all messed up. In addition, there was major wide angle distortion so the building tops were pointed towards each other. Despite hours of work in Raw Therapee to try to make half-way presentable, I failed. I'm too embarrased to show again in it's original posted form.

I finally took the plunge and purchased Lightroom 4. What a difference in helping correct photos that need alot of work. The speed of execution and work flow is so much better. In less than 10 minutes I was able to change a useless image into one that some of my friends from the area have seen and have asked me to forward to them because they like it (without hearing this story behind the story).

Now the 'talented' photgraphers on this forum likely will remain appalled at the resulting image below (Some of you experts may say the colors are still messed up, but the sky is blue and clouds are white so I figure I am close) ... but my key point is just wanted to say I greatly appreciate the ease and speed Lightroom 4 provides vs. free alternatives. I'm glad I was able to rescue this picture to my liking so it looks like I recall seeing it at the time.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow