Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?
FF NOT Better than m43rds for Image Quality and DoF control
Sep 18, 2012

Regarding all of the "Are Tempted by the Cheap Price of FF" posts I see: The real disadvantage of FF has nothing to do with price, but bulk, weight and visibility. I see it mainly becoming a studio tool in the future.

1. There is no difference between the DR of FF and m43rds. In fact the E-M5 and likely the new GH3 is better than most FF cameras.

2. As far as high ISO IQ, the 2 stops deeper DoF on m43rds means in low light that I can just open the aperature wide open and shoot, not worrying about having to have a razor think DoF putting most of the scene out of focus. Is FF 2 stops better at high ISO, say FF ISO 12,800 compared to m43rds ISO 3200, than m43rds? I don't think so.

3. IBIS means that I can shoot with a fast prime at incredibly slow shutter speeds so as to not have to crank up the ISO. Think about shooting at f1.4 at 1/6 of a second hand held.

4. As far as DoF control: Yes, FF offers shallower DoF at an equivalent aperature, though with .95 lenses for m43rds, DoF should be shallow enough for most. By contrast, there are at least as many circumstances where greater DoF is an advantage as in macro / low light photography.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow